IANS Solicitors specialise in working with migrants seeking entry to the UK or looking to extend their stay under the points based system, or other immigration routes available. We can help you become eligible if you are not. 

Immigration rules to pursue a career or follow a course of study in the UK are complex and submitting an application without seeking legal advise could not only be costly but may also lead to refusal on grounds that false representations were made in your application, or false documents or information were submitted, which may attract an automatic refusal to future applications for a period of up to 10 years. 

Our solicitors specialise in all aspects of UK immigration including visa applications, sponsor licences, duties & compliance, European Free Movement applications, human rights, permanent residence and British Citizenship applications..

We can simplify the application process for you and your family. We will help get you here and keep you here happily, lawfully and successfully


Tier 2 Visa or Extension Applications

  • Sponsored workers
  • Sportspersons
  • Religious workers
  • Intra-company transfers

Tier 4 Visa or Extension Applications

  • Short term study visas
  • Undergraduate degree
  • Masters degree
  • PHD

Tier 5 Visa Applications

  • Temporary Workers
  • Government authorised exchange
  • International agreements
  • Youth mobility
  • Charity and religious workers
  • Sponsored researchers
  • Creative and sporting

Spouses and Family Immigration

  • Frances and fiancees visas
  • Spouses and unmarried partner
  • Children

Sponsor Licences

  • Tier 2 & 5
  • Tier 4 

Appeals and Human Rights Claims

Immigration Law FAQs

We receive many questions about using our Immigration Services.

Below are some of our most frequently asked questions.

What is a Tier 2 visa?

Tier 2 is the main immigration route for working in the UK and is for skilled workers with a job offer.Visa sponsorship is required by an employer and the visa is linked to a specific job. There are different categories within Tier 2 and the most relevant for international nurses isTier 2 (General).

What is a Tier 2 sponsor?

A licence is a permission given to an organisation to sponsor workers in its business. The organisation is known as a sponsor. Tier 2 is a category of the licence for sponsoring skilled workers.

What is a Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS)?

A Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) is an electronic record, not a physical document, from an employer with a Tier 2 Sponsorship licence, which contains your personal information, details of the role you are being sponsored to work including salary and duration of your employment. Each certificate has its own number which a worker can use to apply for a visa.

What are the requirements to submit a work visa application to the UK as a nurse?

In order to apply for a Tier 2 UK visa, you must be in possession of an IELTS certificate with a score of 7.0 in all four components of the test or an OET certificate with a minimum of B in all categories, confirmation that you pass Part 1 of the NMC’s Test of Competence otherwise known as CBT and you must have a valid Certificate of Sponsorship(CoS) from an employer with a Tier 2 Sponsorship licence.

Can I submit an application without an NMC Decision Letter?

It is not a requirement of the Immigration Rules for you to be in possession of a Decision Letter to submit your Tier 2 visa application. It is sufficient to meet the requirements by having passed the required scores of your chosen English Test, confirmation of passing CBT and a valid Certificate of Sponsorship.

How long does it take for my visa application to be granted?`

90% of Tier 2 visa applications for nurses are decided within 2 weeks, 98% within 3 weeks and 100% within 4 weeks of the application date (where 1 week is 5 working days).

Can my spouse and children apply at the same time with me?

They can apply as your dependants provided they meet the relationship, maintenance and other relevant requirements. They do not need an IELTS certificate nor a Certificate of Sponsorship from any employer.

What is the validity of Tier 2 visa?

If your application is successful, you will be granted a period equal to the length of the engagement shown on your Certificate of Sponsorship, usually 3 years, plus 1 month, or
up to 5 years plus 1 month based on the start date shown on your Certificate of Sponsorship.

Are there visa conditions I need to meet under Tier 2 category?

You cannot take employment, except working for the sponsor in the job recorded on your Certificate of Sponsorship, supplementary employment and voluntary work. You are permitted to do supplementary employment in either a job which is included on the Shortage Occupation List in Appendix K of the Immigration Rules, or a job in the same profession, and at the same professional level, as the work for which your Certificate of Sponsorship was assigned; and no more than 20 hours per week, and outside of the normal working hours for which your Certificate of Sponsorship was assigned. In addition, you must continue to work for your sponsor in the job recorded on your Certificate of Sponsorship.

I have been to the UK before but left after failing my OSCE twice, can I apply now to return?

You can only reapply after a 12-month period has passed from the date you left the UK and you have evidence of not having been in the UK during this time. Note that your IELTS and CBT certificates must remain valid on the date of your application.

I failed my OSCE twice and my employer has cancelled my sponsorship and terminated my employment and asking me to leave the UK, can you help?

The duty of your employer as a licensed sponsor ends when they have cancelled your sponsorship and ended your employment. They have no duty or special power to put you on the plane out of the UK. There are policies and procedures under the Immigration Rules that UKVI must follow as a result of your sponsorship being cancelled. This starts by giving you notice of curtailment. This is not the end of your immigration status and we can help you stay legally.

My Tier 2 application is refused and UKVI kept my passport, can you still help me?

The Home Office has the power to retain documents such as passport when your application for leave to remain has been refused and you no longer have other basis to stay in the UK. The law however does not allow for the indefinite retention of your documents. Your passport will only be returned when you leave the United Kingdom or have made a successful application. We can offer you options to make a successful application.

What is a curtailment letter?

Curtailment is an action of the Home Office reducing the period you are allowed to stay in the United Kingdom to 60 days because of change in your immigration circumstances such as failing to obtain full registration with the NMC a condition given to you when you enter the UK to work as a nurse. There is a requirement to serve this notice in writing and must be served to you by post or email.

I am not happy with my current sponsor and would like to move to another employer, can I change employment?

You must make a change of employment application to the Home Office if you wish to change employer. But you must check your employment contract as you may be liable to certain things when you do not complete the duration of your contract.